This vegan Spaghetti Bolognese is one of the simplest and quickest dishes to prepare. The ingredient list is quite short and you don’t need to plan much ahead.
Let’s get right to it!
Start by cutting the smoked tofu into stripes or pieces. Take each piece and crumble it by hand into very small pieces.
Place the crumbled tofu into a small pan and fry it on low to medium heat until it becomes golden brownish.
Next, heat a large amount of water, add some salt and olive oil and cook your spaghetti according to package instructions.
While the tofu is frying and the spaghetti are cooking, cut 2 big red onions and optionally 2 garlic cloves into small pieces. Heat some coconut oil in a pan and add the onions and garlic. Fry until translucent.
Add 2 tbsp. dried oregano and 1 tsp. dried rosemary, mix well and fry a little more.
Continue with adding half a can of diced tomatoes, 200-300 ml (ca. 1 cup) of basil tomato sauce and 100g tomato paste. The amounts of the sauce and the paste don’t need to be exact, just go by how liquid or thick you want your sauce to be like.
Give the whole mixture a good stir and spice it with salt and pepper to taste. If you like the oregano taste then you can add another tsp. of the dried oregano now.
Let this mixture heat up for another 1-2 minutes and then add the golden tofu scramble, which should be done by now. Mix it all up and cook for another 5 minutes.
Et voilà! The sauce is done. To make sure that there isn’t going to be any leftover sauce or spaghetti, you can just add the spaghetti directly to the sauce and mix it all up.
- 250g Spaghetti
- 1 tbsp. coconut oil
- 2 big red onions
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/2 can diced tomatoes
- 200-300g (1 cup) basil tomato sauce
- 100g tomato paste
- 2 tbsp. + 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 tsp. dried rosemary
- Salt & pepper
- 175g smoked tofu
- Cut the tofu into thin stripes and tear it into small pieces with your hands.
- Take a small pan and fry the tofu until light golden. Set aside.
- Chop the onions and garlic cloves into fine pieces.
- Heat some coconut oil in a big pan and add onions & garlic. Cook until onions become translucent.
- Add 2 tbsp. dried oregano and 1 tsp. dried rosemary. Mix well and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the diced tomatoes, the sauce and the paste. Mix well and cook another minute. Add salt & pepper to taste and another tsp. oregano if you like a strong oregano taste.
- Add the smoked tofu, mix well and cook for 5 minutes on low flame.
- Cook the spaghetti according to the package instruction.
- Add the spaghetti to the sauce directly or serve separately.