This blueberry dream smoothie does indeed taste like walking on a fluffy blueberry cloud. I am not kidding!
Generally I am not the biggest fan of blueberries, because they often taste very bitter. But paired with the right ingredients, I discovered a new passion for this little berry. On top of that, blueberries can be very beneficial for your health. They are high in nutrients, low in calories and a great source of antioxidants, thereby protecting our bodies from heart diseases, cancer as well as aging! No surprise these berries belong to the super foods.
The outer skin of the blueberry is the bitter part but also the most important one! Throughout various body cleanses and detox regimen I have gone through the past years, I found the more bitter something is, the more health benefits it provides. So how can we pimp this taste up? Strawberries! Another berry adding up in the health column, this time a deliciously sweet one.
Strawberries are among my all time favorite fruits and one reason why I love summer so much. Sweet, healthy, yummy and so versatile! You can basically add them to anything and it will taste heavenly.
I always try to avoid processed sugar as much as possible. So whenever I have the chance, I try to work with the natural sweetness of fruits. While this can be tricky with baked goods, it is really easy with smoothies. Simply add some bananas. The riper the banana, the sweeter it will be.
The key ingredient that makes this smoothie so creamy and dreamy is the coconut milk. It should be full fat and not cooled, unless you use fresh coconut milk. If canned and cooled, the water and cream will separate, which we don’t want. You can surely use another liquid of your choice, but it will not be as creamy as with coconut milk. If you want this to be more slushy and watery, then try out coconut water instead.
To give this smoothie a little bit of a special taste, I like to add fresh ginger. It’s great for digestion! Don’t worry if you are unfamiliar with using ginger. The taste won’t be overpowering. It rather compliments the main ingredients and enhances their natural flavor.
Blueberry Dream Smoothie
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1 hand frozen strawberries
- 2 bananas
- ca. 100g unsweetened frozen blueberries
- 1/2 inch piece ginger
- little bit of water
- sweetener of choice
- Start out with adding the coconut milk to your blender. Liquids should always go first when using a blender.
- Cut the bananas into rough pieces and add them to the blender. Also already add the ginger. Blend until smooth.
- If your blender is strong, also add the frozen strawberries and blueberries at the same time. If your blender isn’t very strong, make this a two step process. When adding frozen fruit, start by pulsing until the fruit is much smaller. Then you can blend them in normal speed.
- Now you can decide if you like the consistency. If you like it a bit more liquid, simply add some filtered water.
- Decide on the taste and add your sweetener of choice. I like to do this mostly when I have added water that dilutes the natural sweetness of the fruits.
And that’s it! There you have your creamy Blueberry Dream Smoothie. Zenjoy and tell me how you liked it.