This smoothie is packed with lots of super healthy ingredients, making it the optimal immunity booster.
It is based on an Indian drink called Golden Milk. In India, this drink is typically consumed on a daily basis when having a fever or a cold.
Two of the main ingredients of Golden Milk are turmeric and ginger, both very powerful roots that have long been used in traditional Indian and Chinese medicine.
Turmeric also gives curry powder its characteristic color. It has very powerful anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties. This is why it is said to work wonders for so many different ailments.
It is supposed to treat inflammatory bowel disease, skin conditions like acne, inhibit cancer cell growth, relief arthritis, improve liver function, benefit against depression, treat and prevent Alzheimer’s disease, lower cholesterol, and delay aging! For more detailed information on its benefits check out this and this website.
Now that is what I call a powerful super-food!
On top of that, ginger activates your digestive juice, thus promoting overall digestion and improves the absorption and assimilation of essential nutrients in the body. This is really helpful when you suffer from IBS! It can help to reduce flatulence, nausea or tummy cramps, clear the sinuses and any throat congestion.
So you see why this combination is just perfect for an overall good state of health. Plus it’s yummy 😉
It is important to add just a tiny bit of black pepper to fully activate the turmeric. You can add any fruit to it that you like. I used pineapple in this version, but mango would also taste amazing with it.
To Soak the oats, fill half of a 1-cup measuring cup with rolled oats (1) , fill it up with warm water until the cup is almost full (2) and let it sit for 15 minutes until the oats soaked up most of the water and doubled in volume (3).
- 1 small piece whole turmeric or 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 inch piece fresh ginger
- 1/2 cup rolled oats, soaked
- 2 small ripe bananas
- 1 cup fresh pineapple
- 1tbsp. brown sugar
- a pinch of clove powder
- a pinch of cardamom powder
- 1/4 tsp. cinnamon powder
- a pinch of black pepper
- Garnish: cacao nibs, hemp seeds, pecan nuts, coconut flakes, fresh pineapple
- Take a 1-cup measuring cup and fill half of it with rolled oats. Fill it up with warm water until the cup is almost full and set it aside for 15 minutes until the oats soaked up the water and doubled in volume.
- Peel the the turmeric, cut it into small pieces. Keep in mind that turmeric stains a lot, already while peeling it. You won't be able to wash it out of your clothes and your hands might be yellow for a day. If you don't have fresh turmeric, you can use 1/2 tsp turmeric powder.
- Add the turmeric to your blender together with the peeled ginger, soaked oats, bananas, pineapple, brown sugar and spices and blend until smooth.
- Transfer to bowl and garnish with cacao nibs, coconut flakes, fresh pineapple, hemp seeds, nuts or dried fruit.